Thursday, March 03, 2011

Shimmering Beaded Leaf Earrings


The finished product!  I love the way they turned out.  Pretty  yet not over the top.  I especially love the 'frillyness' of the leaf edges.

 The design was based on a diagonal peyote stitch.  I used faceted size 11 cylinder beads.  I think the faceted sides add a nice sparkle to the finished product.  These earrings measure about 2 inches long including the ear wires.


I really like the look of these so I want to make some variations on the theme.  I have a whole lot of miyuki seed beads coming in the mail... I went on a bit of an ebay bead binge.  Including some nice size 15 ones is multiple shades of green.  I think it would look really nice to have a cluster of smaller leaves so I'm going to give it a try.

Also, my favorite recent discovery: thread protectors.  They're the little metal loops at the top of the leaves that the ear wires connect to.  I'm always afraid of thread at important connection points, where there's going to be the most wear and tear, fraying over time and one just breaking such that I lose an earring.  These solve that and make it much easier to connect other components to beaded pieces.

Next post: exciting things that arrive in the mail!

2 comments:

  1. I love these leafs Michelle. I recently have crossed from wire wrapping to bead weaving :) so am looking for instructions for some project. Nice one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I've got through a bit of a lag in my beading lately. After winter and spring of pure rain, it's hard to stay inside!

    ReplyDelete